Sputum coughing occurs when your lungs become infected so that it produces more phlegm than normal levels. As a result there is phlegm in the throat that comes out when you cough. Coughing is the body’s natural way to cleanse the respiratory tract of phlegm so that you can breathe more easily.
Phlegm cough is generally caused by colds, pneumonia and sinusitis, but this condition can also be a symptom of chronic bronchitis, heart failure, and asthma. The longer the cough persists, the higher the risk of getting a more serious disease. This condition is more at risk for smokers and people who have low immunity.
Cough is a relatively common condition so it is rarely consulted by a doctor. But there are times when you need to check yourself to prevent risk. Then when is the right time to see a doctor?
- If your cough with phlegm does not heal or even worse, for more than a week.
- If the phlegm that comes out when coughing is dark green or foamy pink.
- If there is blood in your sputum.
- If your cough with phlegm is accompanied by symptoms such as high fever, chest pain, shortness of breath, weight loss, rashes, wheezing, ear aches, headaches that continue to arise.
- If you are a smoker and your cough gets worse at night.
- If you suddenly experience symptoms of headaches, muscle aches, fatigue.
Relieves cough with phlegm
The right phlegm cough medicine can relieve your symptoms, but consult your doctor before taking it. Especially if you want to be given to children because you need to adjust the dose, in addition to knowing whether it is necessary to be accompanied by the consumption of other drugs such as antibiotics.
Here are some characteristics of the medicine for cough with phlegm that need to be examined.
- Cough medicine consumed is usually useful for thinning phlegm or called expectorants, so that phlegm is more easily removed when coughing. Because phlegm does need to be removed through a cough mechanism.
- Although it still requires further clinical research, Succus liquiritiae is an example of the natural ingredients in cough medicines that are believed to help thin phlegm.
- Guaiphenesin or bromhexine is the main ingredient in cough with phlegm which is also safe for pregnant women. Even so keep in mind that this material can not cure the more serious conditions that lie behind it.
- If the cough is accompanied by a fever, take a cough medicine containing ibuprofen or paracetamol which can also help relieve sore throat.
Various kinds of cough medicines are widely available in the market. But there are certain conditions that need to be more vigilant as follows.
- If you have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, thyroid disorders, respiratory problems such as asthma.
- If coughing up phlegm affects toddlers under two years.
- If you are breastfeeding or pregnant, you need a cough medicine that won’t harm your baby.
- If you are allergic to drugs, especially the ingredients in cough medicine.
In essence, it is important to take medicines with the right label and designation for handling cough with phlegm. It would be better if the drugs you want to consume are consulted first to the doctor.
But before taking the drug, there are some simple ways you can do to relieve cough with phlegm.
- Gargle with plain water or salt water for at least 60 seconds, three times a day.
- Get plenty of rest and consume enough mineral water.
- Keep your body temperature warm. Bathing with warm water can help thin phlegm.
- Avoid contact with people with colds and other coughs.
Children aged six years or before six years are advised to consume natural ingredients to relieve cough, such as lemon and honey. Honey will naturally clear the throat and relieve the irritation that causes coughing. With notes, honey can only be consumed by children over the age of one year.
Like the consumption of drugs in general, cough medicine should also not be consumed in the long run. Generally coughing can subside after 2-3 weeks, so you should consult a doctor if after this period the cough still does not go away.
In addition, during coughing, cover your mouth with a mask so that the cough does not infect those around you.