Sambiloto has an active substance called andrographolide. This substance is taken from the bitter stems and leaves. Even though the taste is very bitter, the benefits of Sambiloto in the health field are worth considering. Because, these substances are considered to stimulate the immune system and can prevent disease attacks.
Although it still needs to be further investigated, from existing research, one of the benefits of consuming bitter is the possibility that it can help relieve cold symptoms.
Preventing and Overcoming Several Types of Diseases
With a bitter taste, here are some benefits you can take from Sambiloto:
Relieve cold symptoms
Boosts the immune system
As a form of treatment, the study found the benefits of Sambiloto in extract form combined with the benefits of ginseng might be able to relieve cold symptoms such as sneezing, sore throat, nasal congestion then runny nose, and coughing. Typically, symptoms will decrease after two days of consuming bitter. Cold symptoms can also disappear after four to five days of consuming bitter. Although further testing is still needed. If you want to try to prevent colds using this plant, it is recommended to combine it with bitter with combined ginseng extract. In addition, make sure the herbal products are registered at BPOM before you start taking them.
The next benefit of Sambiloto is to increase the immune system. This plant extract is immunostimulant, which increases the performance of organs related to the immune system. This trait mainly works in upper respiratory infections and HIV infections. In addition, bitter can be used to relieve inflammation (anti-inflammatory) and reduce complaints related to the liver.
The results of a study showed that the benefits of Sambiloto may prevent cancer. In that study it was known that bitter inhibits cancer cell division. However, keep in mind, this is the result of research conducted in the laboratory. Cancer cells in the body, even if you consume regular bitter extract, the conditions can be different. This still requires further research.
Warning Before Consumption of Sambiloto
If consumed with the right dosage and in a short time period, generally bitter is not dangerous. However, the consumption of Sambiloto has the risk of side effects such as diarrhea, vomiting, headaches, runny nose, rashes, fatigue, and loss of appetite.
Do not consume bitter more than the dose and in the long run to avoid serious allergic reactions, swollen lymph nodes, or an increase in liver enzymes. Follow the rules of use listed on the medicine packaging.
The manufacture of a bitter supplement is combined with Siberian ginseng. According to research, this combination is safe for consumption for a period of three months.
It’s best to avoid taking Sambiloto if you:
- Pregnant and breastfeeding. There is a concern that bitter may increase the risk of miscarriage. For breastfeeding mothers, it is not clear what effect it will have. So just in case, it’s better to avoid using it if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Have low blood pressure. According to research, bitter may be able to reduce blood pressure.
- Having autoimmune diseases. Sambiloto might be able to increase your immune system. This can worsen the condition if consumed by people with autoimmune diseases.
- Want to have children. According to research, it is likely that bitter can interfere with fertility levels. But it happens to animals, not humans. As a precaution, it’s better to avoid Sambiloto if you want to have children or have difficulty having children.
- Having a condition of blood disorders. The process of blood clotting may be hampered if you consume bitter. This can cause bruising and bleeding in people who have this disorder.
The benefits of Sambiloto relieve or treat diseases, still need further research. If you are still unsure, consult a doctor before taking Sambiloto or Sambiloto supplements. Then pay attention to the packaging label that contains the recommended dosage or risk of side effects.