Disorders of the vagina can affect the desire to have sex, fertility rates, and overall women’s health condition. Recognize and watch for symptoms through differences from normal vaginal conditions.
In addition to cleaning it regularly, keeping the vagina healthy can be done by recognizing symptoms that can refer to the risk of certain diseases. Various factors can affect vaginal health. But some other symptoms are actually normal and nothing to worry about.
Recognize the following symptoms along with their causes and potential illnesses.
- The vaginal wall muscles experience unexpected contractions (vaginismus).
- Depression, anxiety, and trauma can reduce the desire to have sex, causing pain and discomfort during intercourse.
- In rare cases, other health problems, such as vaginal cysts can cause pain during intercourse.
- Changes in hormone levels such as the decrease in the amount of estrogen after childbirth, during breastfeeding, and after menopause, causes thinning of the vaginal wall, causing pain during intercourse.
Pain during intercourse
Interference during intercourse, such as pain during and after intercourse (dyspareunia), can be caused due to several things, such as:
Itching in the pubic area
Itching in the vagina can be a symptom of a yeast infection in the vagina. This condition often occurs in women who are using antibiotics in the long run, so that good germs that maintain vaginal cleanliness become malfunctioning. In addition, itching in a woman’s genitals can also be caused by dermatitis on the skin in the pubic area.
Itching around the vagina can also be a symptom of lice infection in pubic hair. Head lice on pubic hair can leave black spots on your skin or panties. This condition can be treated with over-the-counter flea medicines that are available on the market. In addition, itching around the vagina accompanied by elevated body temperature can be a symptom of scabies. This condition, which often gets worse at night, is caused by small mites infiltrating the skin. This can be treated with medicated creams from doctors.
Skin sores or blisters
Skin blisters or sores on the pubic skin can be symptoms of genital herpes that is transmitted through sexual contact. Most people who experience it don’t realize that they are being infected because the symptoms of this condition can go away on their own. The virus that causes genital herpes cannot be eliminated from the body, but can be controlled with antiviral drugs. In addition to genital herpes, sores can also be caused by other sexually transmitted diseases.
Fluid from the vagina
Fluid from the vagina can be categorized as normal if the color does not differ from normal vaginal discharge, does not smell, and is not accompanied by other symptoms, such as itching or pain. However, fungal infections can cause vaginal discharge to turn thick white, followed by intense itching in the vagina. This condition is often caused by the fungus Candida albicans. While bacterial vaginosis causes fishy-smelling, gray-colored fluids. Sexually transmitted diseases, such as trichomoniasis, chlamydia, and gonorrhea can also cause abnormalities in your vaginal discharge. To handle this you need to see a doctor.
Vaginitis, an infection that results in disruption of the level of bacteria that inhabit the vagina, and inflammation also begins with the smell of vaginal fluid, the appearance of pain, and itching. Bacterial vaginosis is a common type of vaginitis. and trichomoniasis parasites transmitted through sexual contact.
A small hard bulge with a rough surface could be genital warts. Genital warts can feel itchy, but do not cause pain. Genital warts can grow in groups or individually. This condition can be treated with a prescription cream from a doctor. If the warts do not disappear after treatment, the doctor may perform wart removal with special medical procedures such as electric surgery.
Bleeding is not normal
Bleeding outside of menstruation or after sexual intercourse can be a symptom of infection, such as chlamydia or abnormalities in the cervix. In very rare cases, this can be a symptom of cancer. Bleeding is also sometimes related to side effects of hormonal contraception, such as injectable birth control or birth control pills.
Lumps in the mouth of the vagina
The lump may be swelling of the Bartholin cyst that is on the inside of the lips. Lumps can also be caused by infection and contain pus. Handling can be done by taking antibiotics or surgery. In very rare cases in post-menopausal women, sometimes a biopsy (tissue sampling) is needed to detect the possibility of vulvar cancer. In addition, red bumps can form when an infection occurs on the pubic hair shaft, or called folliculitis.
Rash on the vagina
Molluscum contagiosum (MC) is a viral infection that is transmitted through skin contact or is obtained when touching contaminated objects, such as towels. This virus can cause dense red spots, but not painful.
Apart from MC infections, rashes can also be caused by skin irritation due to many factors, such as clothing friction. The rash can also be caused by an allergic reaction due to the use of soap, shampoo, lotion, or perfume which can trigger eczema. Using fragrance-free products can prevent eczema from coming back. Apart from the above, rashes can also be caused by psoriasis, and fungal infections.
Menjaga Kesehatan Vagina
Selain mengenali gejala-gejala di atas, ada beberapa hal yang dapat Anda lakukan agar vagina dapat tetap sehat, yaitu:
- Vaksinasi HPV dan hepatitis B dapat mencegah infeksi virus.
- Hindari perilaku seks berisiko dengan lebih dari satu pasangan, lakukan hubungan seksual terproteksi menggunakan kondom.
- Cermat memilih alat kontrasepsi. Alat kontrasepsi yang mengandung spermisida dapat menyebabkan iritasi pada vagina.
- Batasi konsumsi minuman keras dan hindari rokok serta obat-obatan terlarang.
- Biasakan membersihkan vagina dengan air bersih, tidak perlu menggunakan sabun. Produk pembersih organ kewanitaan juga sebaiknya tidak digunakan. Selain itu, hindari juga pembalut beraroma.
- Senam Kegel dapat membantu mengencangkan otot panggul dan vagina.
- Kenali efek samping obat-obatan yang mungkin dapat berdampak pada tingkat hormon dan vagina. Konsumsi antibiotik dalam jangka panjang berisiko menyebabkan infeksi jamur pada vagina.
- Pemeriksaan kesehatan secara teratur seperti pap smear untuk mendeteksi dini kanker.
- Lebih berhati-hati saat beraktivitas. Cedera pada area panggul dan hubungan seksual yang dipaksakan dapat membuat vagina mengalami trauma.
Secara keseluruhan, agar dapat segera memperoleh penanganan yang tepat, periksakan diri ke dokter jika:
- Terdapat perubahan warna, jumlah, atau bau cairan vagina, terutama jika disertai gejala lain, seperti gatal, nyeri atau demam.
- Terdapat benjolan pada vagina.
- Vagina menjadi gatal, iritasi, dan kemerahan.
- Vagina terasa seperti penuh atau tertekan.
- Pendarahan di luar masa menstruasi, setelah menopause, atau setelah berhubungan seksual.
Menjaga kesehatan vagina sebagai organ penting kebutuhan seksual dan reproduksi merupakan hal yang penting dilakukan untuk memiliki hidup lebih berkualitas dan produktif.