In addition to making dishes taste tasty and fragrant, there are many benefits of onions that are useful for health. Delicious cooking ingredients made fried onions, it turns out low in calories, free of fat, contains antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Shallots are thought to have originated from China, Central Asia, or Southeast Asia and existed around 2000 BC. Shallots have even long been a staple of Mediterranean, French, American and Dutch cuisine. These tubers are often used as an ingredient in salad dressing (dressings), stir-fry, fried spices, and sauces to add flavor.
Various Benefits of Shallots according to Its Content
If judging from the womb, a lot of health benefits of onions, the following explanation:
Folate (Vitamin B9)
Shallots contain vitamin C. Various benefits of vitamin C, including:
– Helps protect and maintain body cells to stay healthy,
– Helps the formation of collagen, and contains antioxidants that protect the body from damage caused by free radicals, toxic chemicals, and pollution.
– Maintaining bones, muscles, and blood vessels.
– Increase the absorption of iron by the body.
This one vitamin is found in many animal and vegetable food sources, including onions. Vitamin B6 plays a role in the formation of red blood cells. Vitamin B6 is also thought to reduce nausea and vomiting in pregnant women.
Nutrient on this one certainly does not sound familiar to pregnant women. In 100 grams of onion, contained 30 micrograms of folate. Folate has many health benefits, such as:
– Prevent fetal defects in the womb, and play a role in maintaining the health of the mother and fetus during pregnancy. Because it does not hurt pregnant women add onion in the daily diet to increase folate intake.
– Some studies say that low levels of folate in the body can cause an increased risk of cancer. Although it still needs to be investigated further, it is better to increase intake of folic acid through onions in food.
– Together with vitamins B6 and B12, folate is thought to play a role in preventing heart disease and stroke.
Shallots contain antioxidant flavonoids, which help protect the body from free radicals and can reduce the risk of getting cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Research in the laboratory shows that the onion extract which contains antioxidants can inhibit the growth of cancer cells. But this data has not been clinically tested.
In 100 grams of onion, contained about 330 mg of potassium (potassium). This mineral, which is a type of electrolyte, plays a role in regulating nerve function, regulating heart rhythm, and preventing high blood pressure.
In addition, onions also contain fiber, carbohydrates, and water. Fiber is an important nutrient intake that can help maintain digestive tract health. One study showed that women with diabetes who used to consume yogurt and onions had lower blood sugar, cholesterol and triglyceride levels than those who did not consume onions.
Some of the benefits of onion so far still need further investigation. In addition, you need to remember that to get the maximum benefits of shallots, must be accompanied by a healthy diet and lifestyle.