Regular exercise is a natural way to prevent sleepiness while working.
Lack of oxygen levels in the brain, low blood sugar levels, and dehydration are some of the causes of drowsiness and fatigue. By getting around these conditions, the benefits can keep you fresh and work smoothly throughout the day.
Not only consume coffee, there are many ways you can do to get rid of drowsiness and fatigue at work.
Moving between work hours
Walking and doing body movements make oxygen pumped to the brain and muscles. Doing activities like this for just five minutes can keep you awake for up to an hour afterwards. Take the time to walk out of the room, down the stairs to the lobby, or worship to the mosque.
The following are some simple things you can try to make sure your body stays active in the office.
Take time to walk
Look for opportunities to stand and walk between work hours, such as walking out while resting for five minutes. In addition, instead of sending a short message via the internet, you better come to a colleague’s desk to discuss.
Meeting outside the office
If possible, have meetings outside the office, where you can reach them on foot.
Bodybuilding during working hours
Take five minutes from your lunch break to stretch like this.
- Bend with your feet straight and let your hands touch the tips of your toes. Hold for 5-10 seconds. Repeat several times.
- Stand facing a corner of the room. Spread your hands at shoulder height, place your forearms, elbows, and palms on the wall. Bend your upper body inward. Hold for 10 seconds. Repeat 5-10 times to stretch the chest muscles. You can also lower and increase the position of the arms to train different muscles.
- With a sitting position, place your hands on your hips and close your legs. Stretch out your chest without changing your eyes or the position of your head. Then feel the tension in your chest as you pull your shoulder bones back together. Try to hold this tension for 10 seconds. After that try to relax your body for a moment. Repeat 10 times the same movement.
Drowsiness can be lost if oxygen levels in the brain are fulfilled. Actually this condition can be obtained by regulating breathing. You can do breathing exercises by staying seated at your desk. Try to take a deep breath through your nose, until the abdomen and rib cage expand, but the chest does not move. Hold for a moment, then exhale through the mouth.
Eat a healthy snack
Low blood sugar levels can cause the body to feel weak. In this condition, snacks can be useful to increase energy. You can eat healthy snack choices, such as:
- Cut fruit, like watermelons, melons, oranges.
- Biscuits with whole wheat.
Eating coffee or caffeinated drinks can also make you excited and stay awake until midday. The key is not to overdo it and avoid taking it in the afternoon so you don’t have trouble sleeping at night.
But you should avoid certain types of foods and drinks because it can actually bring more drowsiness, namely:
- Soft foods and drinks with high sugar content. Sugar can make drowsiness disappear immediately, but the effect is only felt briefly because some time later you will actually feel more sleepy.
- High-fat food.
Make sure you consume enough water or foods that contain high fluid levels. Dehydration can cause drowsiness and fatigue.
If drowsiness is unbearable, take 10-20 minutes of rest time to take a nap. If you can’t sleep, closing your eyes while lying on your stomach on your desk for 10 minutes can also refresh your brain.
Pause for eyes
Tired eyes and minds can be caused by the same activities carried out without variation, such as constantly staring at a computer screen. Turn your eyes and attention occasionally to other things like talking to coworkers or reading the paper for a while.
Preventing Drowsiness and Tiredness
Many people think that exercise makes the body tired. Yet according to research, regular exercise actually becomes a natural way to increase energy and keep you awake throughout the day. The following are suggestions that can be followed.
Change how you go to work and go home
Using public transportation when traveling will clearly require us to walk more than using private vehicles. Try to use public transport facilities in everyday travel, especially if you have trouble making time to work out at the gym. If you drive a motorized vehicle or car, park the vehicle at a distance that is a little far so that you can walk to the office location. Similarly, if you are traveling by public transportation, get off some distance from your office. Once in the office, instead of taking the elevator, try using the stairs to reach the top floor.
Join a fitness center
Invite your office friends to join the fitness center so you can exercise together. In addition to fun, this condition will make you and your colleagues can remind each other to regularly exercise and can ultimately prevent drowsiness in the office.