Many people want to get rid of pimples to improve their appearance. That is why many people try various ways to get rid of zits. But did you know that to get rid of pimples should not be done haphazardly? Come on, explore the right way to get rid of zits.
Acne actually comes from spending sebum or oil from glands in the skin naturally. It’s just that when there are hormonal changes that trigger excess sebum production, it can cause blockages in the pores of the skin. Blockages mixed with dead skin cells will form blackheads. Coupled with bacteria on the surface of the skin, acne will form.
Types of Treatment for Getting Rid of Acne
To get rid of pimples, the best treatment is to reduce skin oil production, inhibit bacterial growth, and help unclog dead skin cells in the pores.
In general, there are two types of treatment for acne removal:
Use of free products
How to get rid of pimples with free products including cleaning the face with soap or special cleaning products that generally contain salicylic acid, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, or sulfur. Facial care products that contain benzoyl peroxide will help overcome the bacteria that cause acne, while salicylic acid will help exfoliate skin cells. These products can be found in the form of creams, lotions and gels.
Other ingredients contained in free products to treat acne are alcohol and acetone. Alcohol acts as an antibacterial, while acetone can remove oil from the surface of the skin. However, many doctors do not recommend these two ingredients, because they are less effective in treating acne and can cause dry skin and irritation.
In addition, there are also drugs to eliminate acne that are marketed with claims originating from herbal, organic or natural ingredients. However, the efficacy of these products has generally not been proven medically.
There are also free products that contain tea tree oil which has an antiseptic effect. This ingredient is believed to be able to reduce inflammation in acne and treat acne problems.
Use of doctor’s medication
In addition to over-the-counter products sold on the market, the best way to get rid of zits is to use antibiotics. This drug will eradicate the bacteria that causes acne while reducing inflammation. Antibiotics for acne can be in the form of topical medications that are applied directly to the skin or in oral preparations for drinking. However, topical antibiotics will work more effectively if used together with benzoyl peroxide, because it can reduce the risk of germ immunity against antibiotics.
Not only antibiotics, retinoids are also often used to treat acne, both in the form of topical and drinkable. Retinoids can help with moderate to severe acne, by stimulating the growth of new skin cells and exfoliation of dead skin cells. The use of retinoids can be combined with benzoyl peroxide and antibiotics. Side effects that may occur from the use of retinoids are dry or itchy skin, and redness. This drug should not be used by pregnant and lactating women.
Other types of medicines that are also commonly used to treat acne are azeleat acid, dapsone and birth control pills.
You need to be careful in using drugs to get rid of zits, because there are not a few side effects from acne treatments. Consult your skin specialist if the acne does not quickly disappear, or raise other complaints such as acne scars and itching.
Supportive Care for Acne Removal
In addition to medication, to get rid of acne also needed appropriate supportive care, namely:
- Limit washing facial acne with no more than twice per day, because it can cause irritation. Use warm water and mild soap when washing your face.
- Never squeeze pimples, including blackheads. This action will worsen the condition and leave a mark.
- Choose water-based cosmetic products, and labeled non-comedogenic.
- Avoid using cosmetics or makeup that is too thick. And don’t forget to clean cosmetics from the face until completely clean, before going to bed.
- To keep skin moisturized, use a water-based moisturizer without adding fragrance.
- In addition, keep your hair clean and prevent strands of hair on the face.
- Take a shower immediately after activities that make you sweat, such as exercising.
Important to note
Using drugs to get rid of zits has risks. Your doctor can explain to you about these risks, including interactions with other drugs if you are taking certain medications.
Here are some of the side effects that might be caused, including:
- Acne medications from benzoyl peroxide and retinoids can make skin dry, red, and sensitive to sunlight. Use sunscreen and hats when outdoors.
- Antibiotics taken to treat acne can cause nausea, skin is more sensitive to sunlight, and can make women more susceptible to fungal infections, especially if used for several weeks.
- Some over-the-counter medications for acne can also cause serious allergic reactions or severe irritation. Severe allergic reactions can be characterized by difficulty breathing, itching, tightness in the throat, feeling of fainting, or swelling of the face or tongue. If this happens, seek medical help immediately.
Acne that can arise can greatly interfere with one’s appearance or confidence. But to treat and eliminate acne, you are advised to always be careful. We recommend that you consult a doctor to get the right treatment.