Many benefits of wheat are well known for health. Wheat is often referred to as a food ingredient that needs to be present in a healthy diet and weight loss program. This is because the benefits of wheat are good for your health.
Wheat is one type of grain that is often used as raw materials for making bread, pasta, or noodles. In wheat contains a variety of nutrients that are important for the body such as carbohydrates, fiber, protein, folic acid or vitamin B9, phosphorus, manganese, and selenium. With so many nutrients, it’s no wonder that this one grain also has benefits that cannot be underestimated.
Various Benefits of Wheat
If you want to eat wheat or processed products, it is advisable to choose those made from whole wheat (whole wheat). Whole grains are rich in fiber which is good for the health of our digestive system. Here are some of the benefits of whole wheat:
- According to research, eating whole wheat is thought to reduce the risk of colon cancer. The amount of fiber, antioxidants, and phytonutrients present in doubles play a role in helping prevent colon cancer.
- Allegedly effective in treating mild constipation and restoring normal bowel function.
- Suspected of helping to reduce the chance of getting hemorrhoids.
- Allegedly reduce gastric pain and improve intestinal function in people with irritable bowel syndrome.
- Wheat contains high flavonoids and antioxidants, nutrients in wheat are thought to play a role in maintaining healthy blood vessels and reducing the risk of disease. However, further research is still needed to ascertain the theory.
Behind the Benefits of Wheat
Although the benefits are so many, it turns out that wheat can also cause several health problems, including:
Triggering an increase in blood sugar
Stealing nutrients the body needs
Gluten is the main protein contained in wheat and some other grains. But for people with celiac disease, gluten can be dangerous to health. When consuming foods that contain gluten, their immune system will respond by damaging the small intestine.
Foods made from refined grains can trigger a rise in blood sugar quickly. This increase was followed by a sharp decline. As a result we will feel hungry and want to eat again.
Wheat contains phytic acid which can bind and prevent minerals, such as calcium, zinc, iron, and magnesium, to be absorbed by the body. The content of phytic acid in whole wheat is much more than processed wheat.
As mentioned above, choose products that contain whole wheat to feel the optimal benefits of wheat. It is no less important, consume a variety of other types of whole grains so you do not feel bored quickly, and get more nutrition than just consuming whole grains constantly.