Drinking coconut water can be an attractive choice, compared to other drinks when the weather is hot. With a distinctive taste that is delicious, the benefits of coconut water because it contains many minerals that are important for the body, as well as low in calories and carbohydrates.
Coconut water is also very suitable for consumption when you are doing heavy activities and sweat a lot or when someone is losing a lot of fluids due to diarrhea. Coconut water can be an alternative to white water to rehydrate the body.
Rich in nutrition
Although it looks simple, the benefits of coconut water should be taken into account. The liquid that comes from the coconut fruit has a myriad of benefits.
Here are the benefits of coconut water that you can get:
- Coconut water contains sugar and electrolytes which can refresh naturally. Each 30 ml of coconut water only contains 5.5 calories and 1.5 grams of sugar.
- Helps meet the mineral and nutritional needs of the body. Each 30 ml of coconut water also contains 60 mg of potassium and 5.5 mg of sodium. In addition, coconut water also contains vitamin C, calcium, folic acid, iron, magnesium and phosphorus.
- According to research, the benefits of coconut water can replace body fluids quickly. In addition it has been shown to have a better ability than ordinary water or sports drinks.
- Coconut water is an antioxidant, which is able to overcome the poisons and free radicals that enter to damage the body.
- It is possible that the benefits of coconut water can reduce the risk of heart disease, because it can reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels. However, this still needs further research.
- Research shows, the possible benefits of head water can prevent the accumulation of calcium, oxalate and other substances into crystals, which then become kidney stones. Although there is still a need for further study of this matter.
What is the right amount of consumption?
For Indonesians, consuming coconut water is common. Coconut water is sold with natural flavor or mixed with other ingredients. Then, how much should consume coconut water?
Coconut water as a daily drink can be considered as fruit juice. Consumption should be enough about one glass per day. Although relatively healthy, one thing to remember is that coconut water still contains calories.
If your daily consumption of coconut water is around 250 ml per day, then you must calculate an additional 45-60 calories. If then, the extra calories from coconut water are not used by the body, it can increase body weight by about 2 kg each year.
Watch for Possible Side Effects
Pregnant women in Indonesia are often advised to consume coconut water because it is considered beneficial, although it has not been fully proven scientifically. Pregnant and nursing women should be careful when consuming coconut water. If in doubt, consult your doctor first.
Coconut water also has the possibility of lowering blood pressure, while increasing the effect of high blood pressure medications. What also needs to be aware of is that coconut water may interfere with blood pressure during and postoperatively. It is better to avoid consuming coconut water two weeks before the scheduled surgery.
Now you can get the benefits of coconut water not only from fresh fruit, but also from coconut water that is served in containers. Don’t forget to read the label on the package before buying. Make sure the coconut water in the pack is preservative-free and artificial sweetener, so it remains healthy to consume.
It’s best to avoid drinking excessive amounts of coconut water, making sure the amount is suitable to your body’s needs. For those of you who have certain health conditions, consult your doctor before consuming coconut water.