Fried rice has proven to be popular in various parts of the world, especially in Asia. The delicacy of this dish is supported by a variety of spices and supplements, such as eggs, pickles, crackers, vegetables, chili, and meat.
Although preferred, fried rice is often considered a source of high cholesterol because the carbohydrate-rich menu is processed by frying. Even if the processing and ingredients are neatly chosen, this dish can be a healthier dish.
Recommended Ways and Fried Rice Ingredients
Here are the recommended ways and ingredients to make fried rice healthier:
Use cooked rice the night before
Utilizing leftover rice overnight can make it easier for you to cook fried rice to be made. Because, rice that has been cooled tends to blend well when cooked.
Choose the right oil
Use a nonstick skillet so that the cooking oil used is not too much. It is recommended to use new oil. Avoid oils that are used repeatedly because they contain saturated fat. As for the good oils that can be selected are vegetable oil and olive oil. Both of these oils contain monounsaturated fat or double and have benefits in reducing the risk of heart disease.
Pay attention to the level of oil heating
Leave the custom to heat the oil until it emits smoke. This can make the dish burnt, also eliminate the nutritional content. For example, olive oil has a low heat point. If it is heated for a while it will emit smoke. It is not recommended to use margarine or butter instead of oil. Therefore, butter contains high saturated fat, so the risk of increasing cholesterol levels and the risk of heart disease, while margarine contains trans fatty acids and saturated fats.
Choose healthier ingredients
Add vegetables, for example sliced carrots if desired, then saute until savory. Limit the use of seasonings that are high in sodium and teriyaki sauce. It is recommended to add, various types of vegetables compared to processed meats such as sausages or bacon. In addition to being high in salt and preservatives, consuming too much processed meat products can increase the risk of colon cancer.
Healthy Fried Rice Recipe
For those of you who are interested in making healthy fried rice, here is a guide to ingredients and nutritional content that can be a reference in one serving of fried rice.
- 1.5 rice dishes
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce with lower sodium / sodium content
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- ¼ cup of parsley
- 3-5 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 carrots, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup chopped green peppers
- ½ cup of peas
How to make:
- Prepare a frying pan filled with vegetable oil and heat it on medium heat. After the oil is hot, add rice and cook until browned.
- Add sliced leeks, green peppers, carrots and peas to the rice and stir until evenly distributed.
- After 5 minutes or the vegetables look tender, set them aside on the side of the pan.
- Add the eggs and stir until the yolks and egg whites are evenly mixed. After that, combine with rice and other ingredients earlier and cook again until perfectly mixed with rice.
- After mixing, pour in the chopped sesame oil, soy sauce, and parsley leaves. Cook until cooked and serve.
In serving with the ingredients above, at least 300 calories are contained. The nutritional value, about 6 grams of protein, 15 grams of fat, 53 mg of cholesterol, 36 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of fiber, 10 grams of unsaturated fat, 3 grams of saturated fat, 498 mg of sodium / sodium.
There are various kinds of fried rice that can be made according to the seasonings and alloys. In Indonesia itself, there are so many healthy ingredients that can be used as a blend, such as petai, bitter melon, mushrooms, sardines, and shrimp paste. Being creative with its own processing method and choice ingredients can make fried rice offerings an alternative to healthy food for your family.